SharePoint 2013 and anonymous users accessing lists and libraries

The ViewFormPagesLockDown Feature (Site Collection) in SharePoint 2013 is activated and visible by default. This is not the case for previous SharePoint versions.

Limited-access user permission lockdown mode

If you enable anonymous access to your site (or parts of it), you still need to deactivate this feature if you want those users to be able to dive into Lists or Libraries.

• Enable anonymous access in “Authentication Providers” (Central Administration > Application Management)
  • Grant rights to anonymous users in “Site permissions”
  • Grant rights to specific library (if applicable)
  • Disable the “Limited-access user permission lockdown mode” Site Collection Feature (if applicable)

I’ve just spent the better half of the day troubleshooting this issue because it didn’t happen with a SharePoint 2010 upgraded Site Collection (because the feature is disabled by default), but was occurring on newly created SharePoint 2013 Site Collections.

Lesson learned.

Comments

Monday, 10 Jun 2013 05:54 by Daniel Christian
Hi Steven, Thanks for taking the type for creating this Blog. It helped me resolve my SharePoint 2013 blog access issue.

Tuesday, 13 Aug 2013 02:00 by Kannan
Hi Steven, Thanks for posting the info. It has saved us a lot of time. FYI, the feature is activated not by default but when Publishing Infrastructure Feature is activated.

Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 06:26 by sonbvh
Thanks alot Steven

Wednesday, 9 Oct 2013 03:36 by Maxime
Hi Steven, I put in place the Anonymous access on SharePoint (2013) with success (as you describe), but I cannot see the news feed (Site Feed app) with the Anonymous connected??? Maxime

Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 10:51 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi Maxime, I have never tried that. It could be unsupported since the feed is security trimmed anyway. Ask your question on SharePoint StackExchange or the MSDN forums where you might have better luck finding an answer. Kind regards, Steven

Wednesday, 23 Oct 2013 11:16 by Matt
Hi Steven, Your information looks good but I tried to implement it on my site and did not have any success. I have a page with a list view and anonymous users cannot open the properties page/dialog for specific items to view more details. Is there something else I need to do? Anonymous users can view the page and the web part but when they click the title of an item it prompts for login then gives a 401 error if they cancel. - Matt

Friday, 25 Oct 2013 10:53 by Steven Van de Craen
Matt, I've seen it happen before that the permission mask for anonymous users doesn't have the right permissions. Could you verify this with PowerShell or .NET code ? (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.sharepoint.spweb.anonymouspermmask64.aspx). Also, is your list or item using unique permissions that check that out as well (SPList.AnonymousPermMask64).

Monday, 4 Nov 2013 01:42 by Neeraj
Thanks heaps for taking time to write this article....Just saved me from a frustrating day before go-live.....The anonymous users were not able to access the comments list and deactivating the feature at root site collection fixed the issue!

Wednesday, 6 Nov 2013 01:39 by Kyc
I've tried these setting. However, when I went to survey app permission setup. All the option such as Add Items, Edit Items, Delete Items and View Items are grey out. I have no way to apply the anonymous access. If I applied Anonymous Access Entire Web Site, I am able to access the main page without the password, but as soon as I click the survey. The username and password prompt. If I applied Anonymous Access List and Library, I get the prompt ask for the username and password even the main page. Please help. - Kyc

Wednesday, 6 Nov 2013 09:00 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi Kyc, you might have the same issue as Matt (see previous comments) had. If possible verify the settings of the AnonymousPermMask64 property.

Tuesday, 19 Nov 2013 12:50 by daniel
Hi Steven, thanks for your post. Unfortunaly I don´t see that faeture in foundation 2013?

Wednesday, 20 Nov 2013 11:03 by Steven Van de Craen
Daniel, could be Server only indeed. But you should be able to achieve the same result by manipulating the AnonymousPermMask64 value on webs.

Wednesday, 26 Feb 2014 11:35 by Derek
I double checked the first 3 items you recommend and they are great, I also found the "Limit user...." part in the root site collection and it was already deactivated. I activated it and deactivated it again just to make sure that toggling it wouldn't help, and it didn't. I'm stumped as to why anonymous users cannot comment on a blog post in my SharePoint 2013 site... Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,

Thursday, 27 Feb 2014 10:09 by Steven Van de Craen
Derek, Not sure, can anon users see the AllItems View or the DispForm? Did you break inheritance on the Comments list and explicitly grant anon users view or edit perms? It's not enough that they have it on site level.

Monday, 3 Mar 2014 05:03 by Derek
Steven, Yes, I did break the permissions months ago and explicitly grant anon users all of the available permissions for the comments "app" (add, edit, delete and view) still with no results. As far as seeing the All Items or Dispform, I am not sure. When visiting the blog as an anon user, I can click on "Site Contents" and see all "apps" or content on the blog site just fine. I am not sure about Dispform, how do I check that? Thanks Steven!

Tuesday, 4 Mar 2014 11:04 by Steven Van de Craen
Derek, All Items is just when you go to a list or library (that you made available anonymously). DispForm is when you click on an item to see its properties/metadata. Does either work?

Tuesday, 4 Mar 2014 05:49 by Dere
Steven - Yes, I can navigate as an anonymous user to any list or library on the blog site, but when I click on the eclipses (...) which would normally let you select its properties, it does not give the anonymous user the option to see anything. Only when logged in as an actual user will it let you view the properties. Perhaps this is the issue. The question is, what is the setting preventing this as I have allowed anonymous access to the site in general, and anonymous access to the comments "List" explicitly. I'm stumped....

Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 01:42 by Steven Van de Craen
Derek, view the properties when authenticated, then copy the address to the properties page and then paste that in an anonymous browser session. Does it work anonymously?

Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 07:37 by Derek
Steven, I assumed you mean the properties of the "comments" list, correct? When I copied that URL and tried it in another browser entirely, it prompted for credentials and didn't allow me to go any further without them.

Tuesday, 11 Mar 2014 03:48 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi Derek, Can you check the AnonymousPermMask64 property on SPWeb and SPList through code or powershell? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.sharepoint.splist.anonymouspermmask64.aspx