SharePoint Foundation 2013 broken search experience

Issue

I recently examined a SharePoint Foundation 2013 environment where all Search Boxes had gone missing overnight. Also, when browsing to the Search Center I received an error. The ULS logs showed the following error:

System.InvalidProgramException: Common Language Runtime detected an invalid program.

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.WebControls.SearchCommon.GetUserAdvancedLanguageSettingsUrl()

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.WebControls.ScriptApplicationManager..ctor()

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.WebControls.ScriptApplicationManager.GetCurrent(Page page)

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.WebControls.SearchBoxScriptWebPart.OnInit(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)

at System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.WebPartManager.WebPartManagerControlCollection.AddWebPartHelper(WebPart webPart)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.WebPartManager.WebPartManagerControlCollection.AddWebPart(WebPart webPart)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.AddWebPartWithRetry(WebPart webPart)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.CreateWebPartsFromRowSetData(Boolean onlyInitializeClosedWebParts)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.LoadWebParts()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.OnPageInitComplete(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

KB2837628 and/or KB2850058

It took some investigating but we managed to track down the Windows Updates that seem to cause this issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2837628 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2850058. Installing either on a SharePoint Foundation 2013 will break the search infrastructure. Note that these updates CANNOT be uninstalled.

Impact

Other users have also reported the exact same issue and cause on the MSDN forums, but no fix is currently available. The impacted environment had a localized (Dutch) version of SharePoint Foundation 2013 running, other cases also mostly talk about localized versions, so it might be that the English SKU is unaffected.

All versions (both English and localized) of SharePoint Foundation 2013 are impacted.

» http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/905c6aac-2ad9-4099-b4a1-d4cdd6ff4b23/kb-2837628-removes-search-box?forum=sharepointsearch

» http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/3b403821-42d2-4139-8afb-7c9312b57bd4/search-box-disappeared-foundation?forum=sharepointsearch

» http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2013/10/26/october-2013-cu-for-sharepoint-2013-has-been-released.aspx (Comments section)

» http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/4714d906-5bbe-4eca-b666-b0e65367a0a3/update-kb2850058-breaks-search?forum=sharepointsearch

Reproduce

Initially I was unable to reproduce this issue as the aforementioned update wouldn’t install (“The expected version of the product was not found on this system”), but ultimately I did find how it probably ended up on impacted systems.

1. Install SharePoint Foundation 2013
  2. Install SharePoint Server 2013 March Public Update
  3. Install KB2837628 and/or KB2850058

So basically if you run the Server PU (and maybe this applies to CU’s as well) on a Foundation it will update without issues, but then Windows Updates will start rolling out SharePoint Server 2013 updates. If this is an unsupported scenario they should have a blocking mechanism to avoid installing Server PU’s or CU’s onto a Foundation.

Solution: KB2760625

The October 2013 or December 2013 Cumulative Update do NOT fix this issue. For now avoid installing this update altogether. It isn’t supposed to wind up on Foundation installations.

I’m currently working together with Microsoft PSS to get to the bottom of this and -hopefully- a hotfix.

An hotfix has been released and confirmed to fix the issue: KB2760625 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2760625). After installation the Configuration Wizard needs to be run.

This hotfix should be incorporated into the April 2014 Cumulative Update, so once that is available there shouldn’t be a need to install this specific hotfix separately.

Update (12/12/2013)

There’s are reports that KB2850058 has the same impact, so be careful! but this appears to be false. This update is related to Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter. I can now confirm this (17/12/2013).

I have also logged this as a support case with Microsoft, let’s hope this can clear the mist. I’ll update my findings here and on the above forums.

Update (13/12/2013)

It appears that English installations of SharePoint Foundation 2013 are also impacted.

I’m still working with PSS to get this resolved.

I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue on my dev environment. I tried WS2012 and WS2008R2 but KB2837628 seems unwilling to install (“The expected version of the product was not found on the system.”). If anyone has reproducible steps please let me know.

Update (14/12/2013)

Managed to reproduce the issue. See above for the reproduce steps.

I verified KB2850058 on my installation. It wouldn’t install because I didn’t have Outlook 2007 on it, but it appears to be unrelated since it is an update for the Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter. Most likely both updates were installed on the environment of the user that reported this. I had my numbers screwed up.

Update (16/12/2013)

I tried the recently released December 2013 Cumulative Update but no luck.

Microsoft PSS is still examining the issue. To be continued.

Update (17/12/2013)

After getting notified that KB2850058 was really also causing this issue, I retraced my steps and I had gotten the KB numbers wrong. So we have both KB2837628 and KB2850058 causing the same issues. Thanks Lee and Matt for informing me on this via the comments below!

Update (23/12/2013)

I don’t expect a solution to be provided in the next few weeks :(

Update (4/02/2014)

I finally have an update to share after weeks of back-and-forth emailing regarding the issue. I’m absolutely not happy with the answer and have expressed my sentiment accordingly. Still, I doubt that will make an impression on anyone. Here’s the update;

The Product Group is acknowledging the problem but declared that they can only fix it over the April 2014 CU as there will be no February 2014 CU.

This means for the affected customer that cannot wait until April need to reinstall SharePoint in order to address  the error in a supported manner. Some other customers tried to replace binaries with older versions, we haven’t yet received the feedback if this worked out for them – we are asked to discourage this kind of experiments anyway.

Update (5/02/2014)

A final word from the escalation engineer was that this is an acknowledged bug, but due to the release cycles of hotfixes and updates this issue cannot be fixed any sooner than the April 2014 Cumulative Update. Since this is well over two months away from now you’d be best in reinstalling your environment and avoid those specific Windows Updates, or live without Search until then.

Update (4/03/2014)

Service Pack 1 for SharePoint Foundation 2013 does not fix this issue. Furthermore, the KB for Service Pack 1 was amended with a notice to postpone installing SharePoint Foundation 2013 Service Pack 1.

Important A known issue in SharePoint Foundation 2013 SP1 can affect the functionality of the Search WebPart. We encourage you to limit production installations of SharePoint Foundation 2013 SP1 until a fix is available. SharePoint Server 2013 is not affected by this issue.

Update (20/03/2014)

A hotfix has finally been released: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2760625! Make sure to run the Configuration Wizard afterwards.

Links to this post

Comments

Tuesday, 17 Dec 2013 01:25 by Lee
KB2850058 Is an issue as I updated last night and now have no search, only have that update installed not KB2837628

Tuesday, 17 Dec 2013 03:25 by Matt Theologou
Hi Steven, Just to add more examples for Microsoft, we are running a single server installation of Sharepoint Foundation 2013 (with built-in SQL Server 2008 R2) and we are presented with the Invalid Program Exception error after installing KB2850058. I didn't see anything about Outlook, which is not installed on the server, and the following link provides a description of the update (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2850058). We do not have KB2837628 installed on the server.

Friday, 3 Jan 2014 10:38 by Urs Geser
Hello Steven We have the same problem. On our server we have installed only the KB2850058. We do not have KB2837628 installed on the server.

Friday, 3 Jan 2014 10:47 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi Urs, Microsoft PSS is still working on it and I haven't gotten any news from them. Let's hope things go faster now that the holiday period is coming to an end. Kind regards, Steven

Tuesday, 7 Jan 2014 12:20 by Travis
I'm having the same issue. Search box gone on all pages, and when I try to add the basic Search app (web part) back on the page it gives me the CLR error: "Common Language Runtime detected an invalid program." There must be something specific about our installations that is causing these patches to affect our search boxes and not everyone's. Are there any other errors, or unique things about your installation? Let's start with the basics: My install is SharePoint Foundation 2013 15.0.4481.1005 Windows Server 2012 64bit

Tuesday, 7 Jan 2014 11:38 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi Travis, I've managed to reproduce the issue by installing an update that's targeted to Server editions. This seems like the common denominator for everyone with this issue. Is this perhaps also how you got affected?

Wednesday, 8 Jan 2014 04:08 by Jos
Hi Steven, Same problem here on our SharePoint Foundation server. KB2850058 was installed on 11/12/2013. Would upgrading to a full SharePoint version solve the problem? Best, Jos

Thursday, 9 Jan 2014 02:50 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi Jos, You can indeed install SharePoint Server 2013 on top of SharePoint Foundation 2013 (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16033.sharepoint-2013-migrate-from-sharepoint-foundation-2013-to-sharepoint-server-2013.aspx) and it will fix the issue. This isn't an option for most people since that requires licenses for server and users. If you plan on doing this also make sure to reapply any PU or CU that you had already installed for Foundation.

Monday, 13 Jan 2014 08:43 by johmut
Hi Steven, I agree to the common denominator being updates for Server edition installed on Foundation (through normal Microsoft Updates ? or manually ?) I reinstalled a Foundation and patched up to and including December '13, making sure only Foundation CU/PU were installed. Works fine sor far, but empty... Not out of the deep water yet as I am unable to Import-SPWeb an export of the site collections on the crippled (no search) Foundation instance. It complains about SQL ReportServer not being installed (correct as not available in Foundation). So even if, worst case, I need to wipe SPF and reïnstall aal over again, my backups/exports will be useless ? Can I install SQL ReportServer in Foundation anyway ? Can I remove the references to SQL Report Server in the exports ? (editing the .xml's) Pfjew, what a mistake to make .... BR, johmut

Monday, 13 Jan 2014 12:52 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi johmut, can you use backup/restore (site collection or DB) to get the content out of the old environment. this should allow you to get the content even if there are dependencies to SSRS dependencies or features. Not sure if you can install this in combination with SPF2013.

Monday, 13 Jan 2014 05:49 by Alex
So at this point we have no solution at all? We are just waiting for Microsoft? Is there really no hope? :(

Monday, 13 Jan 2014 08:25 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi Alex, that's indeed where we're at. The PSS engineer has confirmed the issue and will submit a hotfix request. There is hope but if you can't wait any longer then you're stuck with configuring a new environment from scratch and migrating your content databases.

Tuesday, 14 Jan 2014 09:51 by johmut
Hi Steven, I'm getting pretty desperate not being able to Restore-SPSite even into my fresh SPF2013.... Anyone seen this one before and found a solution ? PS C:\Temp> Restore-SPSite http://b-advised-ws8/sites/BSO -Path C:\Temp\8008.bak -Force Confirm Are you sure you want to perform this action? Performing operation "Restore-SPSite" on Target "http://b-advised-ws8/sites/BSO". [Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [N] No [L] No to All [S] Suspend [?] Help (default is "Y"): Restore-SPSite : 0x80070003 At line:1 char:1 + Restore-SPSite http://b-advised-ws8/sites/BSO -Path C:\Temp\8008.bak -Force + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Share...dletRestoreSite: SPCmdletRestoreSite) [Restore-SPSite], DirectoryNotFoundException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletRestoreS ite

Tuesday, 14 Jan 2014 10:55 by Steven Van de Craen
Johmut, could this be related to sql permission issues? See http://ammarfassy.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/restore-spsite-0x80070003/ for detail. Also, do you get anymore info from event logs or ULS logs?

Wednesday, 15 Jan 2014 02:41 by johmut
Steven, I already found the URL and checked. The account I am using has local Administrator on the system and sysadmin on the SQL Instance. It is not the Farm Admin account however. I did start the PowerShell with 'Run as Administrator'. Any other suggestions to overcome the error ?

Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 09:49 by Steven Van de Craen
(Johmut) Could you try a Mount-SPContentDatabase from a db backup and see if that works out better for you?

Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 08:53 by johmut
Any news from Microsoft Product Support yet ?

Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 10:56 by Jonnydonk
Hi, We have a customer with this issue and I have followed this post for a few weeks. Is there still no news from Microsoft how to fix this? Regards Jonnydonk

Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 11:11 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi all, it's been taking on forever but in the meanwhile the issue has been confirmed and accepted. It is now scheduled to be fixed with a hotfix and I've been told this should take 1 to 2 weeks from now.

Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 11:56 by travis
Thanks Steven for spearheading this for us!

Friday, 24 Jan 2014 04:45 by JRK
Thanks Steven, wish I found this yesterday, was upgrading our 2008 R2, SP 2013 to 2012\SP 2013 and obviously did the updates and encountered this issue with the search boxes disappearing, I'll keep checking in with your blog to see what happens, hopefully the 1-2 weeks time frame is legit.

Friday, 31 Jan 2014 12:44 by johmut
Wednesday next week, it will be 2 weeks since Steven's update. Will Microsoft deliver ? I am more relaxed now as I was able to restore my sites from the crippled SPF 2013 to another SPF2013 server, even with the unfortunate dependency on ReportServices, after installing rsSharePoint.msi for SQL Server 2012. Now waiting for the MS HotFix to see if it can repair my crippled SPF2013 of if I should uninstall/reinstall .. can't wait.

Friday, 31 Jan 2014 04:58 by Steven Van de Craen
The escalation engineer promised an answer from the PG by next Tuesday. We're all in the same boat here I'm afraid.

Friday, 31 Jan 2014 06:33 by da_jokker
Just wanted to pass along that I had SPF 2013 up and running with KB2850058 patch installed and the search was working. It was not until I started to play around with adding a "Search Center" did I run into this issue. It started with me adding a Search Center but would not load the Default.aspx page. So I removed the Search box web part which at least allowed the page to load. Then when I tried to add the web part back, that is when I got the "Common Language Runtime detected an invalid program" error and all my Search Boxes disappeared. So the issue may be the patch.. but I'd be curious how many of you have Search Center vs just the default Site Search feature?

Tuesday, 4 Feb 2014 02:22 by Mark K~
Any update on this? Would really love to have the search ability resotred once again.

Tuesday, 4 Feb 2014 03:50 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi Mark, I have pressed them yet again for an update, but no news so far. I'll update the post or in the comments once they do.

Tuesday, 4 Feb 2014 07:57 by Steven Van de Craen
I have finally received an update, but you won't like it. I've updated the post with it. I'll keep pressing them but small chance of success.

Wednesday, 5 Feb 2014 10:32 by Son
Gosh darn it... I just redid an entire site in sharepoint and when I had started, I had a bunch of outstanding updates. Finally updated yesterday and was freaking out because the search box had disappeared. Kept looking at the log errors and finding solution and finally ended up here. Thanks for finding the bug and letting us know. I would've wasted a bunch more time trying to rebuild/retest.

Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 11:45 by Alex
Steven, we all agree, this is very disappointing from Microsoft. Do you think they will provide a method for re-installation that will allow us to keep current sites working? At the moment it seems improbable.

Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 11:54 by Steven Van de Craen
Alex, you should be able to do a DB ATTACH to a new installation.

Friday, 7 Feb 2014 03:51 by travis
FYI: Your last few updates should be 2014! :) Thanks again.

Friday, 7 Feb 2014 12:52 by Steven Van de Craen
Thanks Travis, somehow these always sneak in ;)

Friday, 7 Feb 2014 10:44 by da_jokker
I tried this twice and it worked although there is no telling what discrepancies there may be still hidden in the Old Content Database Schema that is actually the “newer” version. The concept is “simple”… get copies of your content databases, obliterate the existing farm, re-build the farm, and then trick it into allowing the newer version of the database to mount to the now older version of the farm. 1) Recommend you shut down all your web\app servers so nothing is modifying any of the databases. 2) Make a SQL backup of all your content databases (or all databases if you wish) 3) Uninstall SharePoint foundation. You also need to uninstall AppFabric. 4) Using SQL Manager, delete all the SharePoint databases. You can leave any of your site collection databases as long as they are not named as the default “Wss_Content”. In other words, delete any databases that come OOB with a new install but leave any you manually created afterwards. 5) Install the SharePoint Foundation Prerequisites. This will also re-install AppFabric. 6) Re-Install SharePoint Foundation as a “new farm” using the exact same options you did the first time. However we don’t create a root site so skip that step. Verify that everything is up and running as it should. (I had an issue with the Cache Service not working thus why I uninstalled AppFabric as well). 7) Make sure to patch to the level you want, obviously not to the level you were but up to KB2768000 most likely. The closer you can match the version of the databases the better. 8) Make sure that your new farm has created at least 1 new content database because we’ll need to reference that. (e.g. Wss_Content) 9) Using SQL manager pull up the contents of the version’s table in that new content database (Select * from Wss_Content.dbo.Versions). 10) This part can vary so just as a guideline, basically you want the Versions table in all of your old content databases to match what is in the default database. There is no way to actually undo any of the schema changes, but only trick SharePoint into thinking the version is OK. 11) As a last step, you know just go back into Central Admin, and “Add Content Database” but specifying the names of your existing old databases. If you got the version numbers right, it should add them and restore any website collections they contain.

Saturday, 8 Feb 2014 08:42 by Son
Thanks for the update. I'll wait until April for the fix. My backup/restore never worked out correctly when I had tested it and i'm a bit hesitant to screw it up again. Steven - are you saying if I detach all databases and re-attach to a new installation, I should be fine? On a side note - has anyone gotten their sharepoint foundation working with an extranet setup? I'm trying to let users access SP from home/outside the network. Tried a few solution (form-based authentication), but it looks like its a lot easier if SP Server standard was used instead of foundation.

Monday, 10 Feb 2014 10:03 by Steven Van de Craen
Hey da_jokker, so what you're saying is that those Windows Updates increment the version history in the content databases? I'll have to check that out myself. If it doesn't do that, just set up a new farm (new machine) and attach those DB's to it. If it *does* then you really shouldn't be doing hacks to get it working.

Monday, 10 Feb 2014 10:06 by Steven Van de Craen
Hey Son, I'll need to check if the WU is changing the version of the Content DB, but I thought it wouldn't. Will check it. If the version remains the same you can indeed move the Content DB to a newly built farm. Regarding your extranet requirement, I don't see how Server edition would make this easier? It's all AuthN and AuthZ using Claims Based Authentication, all available in Foundation. Where are you storing those users? In a SQL DB?

Tuesday, 11 Feb 2014 06:59 by Antioch
da_jokker your database version doesn't change unless you run the upgrade script in PowerShell, as is the case with most SharePoint 2013 patches. When I installed these two updates in my farm the database version did not change until I ran the PowerShell script to do so. I don't know how Microsoft handled previous SharePoint updates, but usually when I perform an upgrade I get notified that my databases are out of date, requiring a manual update.

Wednesday, 12 Feb 2014 09:47 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi Antioch, thanks for confirming this. Using a DBATTACH should then be pretty easy (Mount-SPContentDatabase).

Wednesday, 12 Feb 2014 05:19 by da_jokker
I don't use Powershell to update. I install the patch by running it's exe. Once it is done, you then run the "Products Configuration Wizard" which applies the patch to the farm, and then you use the CA to check the status of the patching and see any issues that may have occurred. With all the Farms I have done, the SharePoint Core version as seen in "CA --> Check Product and Patch Installation Status" has always matched the Version column in the Version Table for the VersionID of "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" For a fresh install with only the last Public release for March (KB2768000), that version should be 15.0.4481.1005

Thursday, 13 Feb 2014 03:13 by Mike
you suggest "reinstalling your environment", is it as simple as uninstalling sharepoint and reinstalling it or will we need to reinstall the OS and start from scratch?

Thursday, 13 Feb 2014 03:26 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi Mike, it would be best if you could wait for a fix, but if you can't then reinstalling is the only option. Either reinstall the current server(s), or create a new set and move your content DB's to there. I'm not sure of the Windows Updates can be removed, once you uninstall SharePoint, so that's why I'd go with a new server-approach. But this requires complete reconfiguration of every setting in Central Administration. You'll also have to migrate Service Application data (if you want to preserve it) and any customizations that you have made (manual changes, WSP packages). Then there's the content DB to migrate. If the version number hasn't incremented due to the Windows Updates, this should be easy. Honestly, it's not a quick fix, but we have no alternatives (except wait).

Thursday, 13 Feb 2014 08:44 by Antioch
da_jokker I should have been more specific in my post, the powershell script I was referring to invokes the psconfig utility to update the database, running the products wizard is essentially the same thing just with a gui, I should have specified that this is what I meant This IS best practice in normal circumstances as running your sharepoint databases in compatibility range, while it will work, is not recommended. You can confirm this by installing base sharepoint, then opening sharepoint 2013 management shell, running (get-spfarm).buildversion then installing a patch, then going through the product config wizard and re-checking using the previous command (you might need to restart before you see the change). you'll see a versioning change, this means you databases have been upgraded. If you don't do this process, you shouldn't need to "trick" sharepoint into running databases with this patch installed.

Thursday, 13 Feb 2014 11:02 by da_jokker
yeah as I said I might have more flexibility because not only did a document everything I did to build the farm, but the only real tweak I made in Central Admin was to configure the Incoming\outgoing e-mail option. To answer the Mike's question... I uninstalled SharePoint foundation... rebooted.. ran the Prereq.. rebooted.. ran the install (and patch) and then configured the farm all on the original server. We are a 1 WFE + 1 SQL setup so there wasn't much to it. What bothered be about the waiting game is that I'm not 100% convinced MS will fix it correctly and it really bothers me that they continue to provide the Oct\Dec patch for Foundation knowing that it completely breaks the search feature. Guess I just lost a bit of faith.

Friday, 14 Feb 2014 09:51 by Steven Van de Craen
Hey da_jokker, I understand your sentiment, but really "we" shouldn't have installed a Server CU on a Foundation installation. I agree that the installer should have blocked this (and maybe it does in later CUs), but this has just tricked Windows Update to think we have a Server installation, thus rolling out the incorrect updates.

Friday, 14 Feb 2014 06:36 by da_jokker
Steven, I used TechNet's own article (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/jj891062.aspx) which specifically Says that SharePoint Foundation 2013 December 2013 Update is KB 2849961. (Server has its one KB and its own link). If you follow that link it takes you to a page that continues to say "SharePoint Foundation 2013" and that is where you get the hotfix download (via an e-mail). So I agree with you 100% however how is a person supposed to know that this is for Server only and would break Foundation if everything Microsoft claims it is for Foundation (and it actually installs)? Oh.. and sorry about my last post.. I was really tired and totally looks like I messed up the first couple of sentences.. darn cut and paste!

Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 05:25 by Steven Van de Craen
Maybe you got it wrong in a previous update like the March PU? That's how most of us seem to have been affected.

Tuesday, 18 Feb 2014 03:46 by da_jokker
Sorry All.. I know this isn't the place to ask but I just am struggling with so many bugs in SharePoint 2013. This version seems to be extremely fragile.. anyway I was just hoping that you guys could recommend a site where I can post issues and get possible feedback? I've tried TechNet but it just doesn't seem to be working.

Tuesday, 18 Feb 2014 03:52 by Steven Van de Craen
Hey, I'd go for SharePoint StackExchange (http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com) or the Microsoft forums (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/home).

Sunday, 2 Mar 2014 02:37 by J.J.
I have same problem after installing clean SharePoint Foundation 2013 RTM + SharePoint Foundation Service Pack 1! I will try reproduce tomorow.

Monday, 3 Mar 2014 05:42 by johmut
Has anyone tried the Service Pack 1 yet ? Does it perhaps solve the issue with the broken search on Foundation ?

Monday, 3 Mar 2014 06:29 by Antioch
Hi Steven, I noticed sp1 for office 2013 hit within the last few days, have you tried installing this and seeing if search is still broken/breaks again? I am going to give this a shot but I just wanted to know if I could save myself some work and skip it.

Tuesday, 4 Mar 2014 11:01 by Steven Van de Craen
JJ, they have confirmed this behaviour and amended the article for SharePoint Foundation 2013 SP1 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2850035). A solution is in the works however, but I can't comment on it.

Tuesday, 4 Mar 2014 11:03 by Steven Van de Craen
johmut, Antioch, I just tested this; installing Service Pack 1 on a crippled SharePoint Foundation 2013 does not fix this issue. A solution is coming but I can't comment on it yet.

Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 04:43 by Matt
Also ran into this AFTER an install to SharePoint 2013 Foundation SP1. Search box is now gone. Get same error as Steven. April wait time is unacceptable! This broke the biggest feature of sharepoint!

Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 06:24 by Antioch
Thanks for testing this Steven. While I hate sitting on my hands while new patches are released, losing the search bar functionality is not an option. I appreciate the amount of time and effort you have taken to continuously reproduce this issue. Please let us know when you can discuss the potential patch that Microsoft is promising.

Wednesday, 5 Mar 2014 10:09 by Steven Van de Craen
Matt, the issue has been acknowledged, especially since Service Pack 1 breaks the search now as well.

Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 03:08 by da_jokker
Wow.. so MS releases a SP specifically for Foundation yet knowing that it breaks the Search? Do they think SharePoint is any good without the search feature? So disappointing.. glad I rolled back. And thank you Steven for this resource.. I look at it almost daily to stay up on this waiting for when they hopefully fix some of the more blatant bugs without breaking the fundamental features like searching.

Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 07:51 by Matt
Opened support case with Microsoft. ETA is 1 week for hotfix is what I'm told.

Thursday, 6 Mar 2014 08:27 by some_random_user
I hacked some code to work around this problem. If some have updated their production environment with SP1 without testing it (as I did, shame on me), this could be somewhat helpful: https://baa3bef07370477994afb3a84ec0f769.codeplex.com/

Monday, 10 Mar 2014 09:45 by Bryan
I am also experiencing this problem and wondered if there has been any word from Microsoft on the hotfix.

Wednesday, 12 Mar 2014 03:35 by Steve
We are also experiencing this problem... Anyone any news ?

Wednesday, 12 Mar 2014 09:22 by Richard
Had this same problem after installing SharePoint Foundation w/SP1 and did not realize that search did not work until I found your post. Let me know if you get a fix from Microsoft prior to April CU. Disappointed that a SP1 can have such a huge issue in it and it get released.

Wednesday, 19 Mar 2014 12:50 by Stephen White
Hi there I have the same issue. We have been running SharePoint Foundation 2010, and I specifically waited until SharePoint Foundation 2013 SP1 was released until I attempted migration. Service packs are supposed to be STABLE for Christ's sake! It has taken me a while to work out why the migration breaks the search functionality! Fortunately for me, I am able to migrate my site collection over to 2013 without performing the visual upgrade to the 2013 style. I will leave my installation like this for the time being, and will not perform the final visual upgrade until Microsoft release a hot fix. Lets hope it is soon, as this is a major issue. I actually think they should re-release the service pack. Many thanks to this invaluable blog!

Wednesday, 19 Mar 2014 06:55 by Steve
I've got the same issue after installing SP1 on SharePoint Foundation 2013. Very frustrating as we were about to go into production and now have project delays.

Wednesday, 19 Mar 2014 08:40 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi all, it seems the soon-to-be-released hotfix is delayed yet again. I can't make any statements regarding release time. April 2014 CU is said to fix this as well, but that is still a long time from now.

Wednesday, 19 Mar 2014 02:33 by da_jokker
Hi all, just wanted to pass along that we have experienced no issues since I performed my roll-back as described above. You'll have to weight the pro's and con's yourself but the way I figured it, is the roll-back doesn't work, you can always re-patch and be back to the mess you are in now. For us.. it has worked out well and I've been able to build out my Search Centers as planned.

Thursday, 20 Mar 2014 05:36 by wtschida
This issue cant be fixed fast enough. I have a large Foundation deployment and the users are HOT over it. Does anyone know of any type of workaround? I tried the code from codeplex that "some random user" put out there, but unfortunately it didn't work.

Thursday, 20 Mar 2014 07:13 by Antioch
Just got an update from Microsoft, they say they have released a fix it can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2760625

Thursday, 20 Mar 2014 08:04 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi Antioch, thanks! Glad this has finally been resolved.

Friday, 21 Mar 2014 01:21 by Urs Geser
Thanks a lot! It works!

Friday, 21 Mar 2014 03:56 by Gareth Booth
Thanks Steven for this site - it has been so valuable to me to sort out my companies 'search problem' since SP1.

Friday, 21 Mar 2014 05:24 by da_jokker
To confirm, I took my original test farm that had searching working. Added SP1 and the searching broke. Applied the Hotfix and the search came back. This included both the search box as well as the error you would get when trying to add a "search" web part to a new page. NICE!!!!

Friday, 21 Mar 2014 05:58 by Ryan
I got the search boxes back but it says "something went wrong" when I run a search.

Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 02:25 by Stoperror0x7E
please note, after applying KB2760625 the config wizard failed to start some services. Exception: System.ServiceProcess.TimeoutException' System.ServiceProcess.TimeoutException: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed. at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.WaitForStatus(ServiceControllerStatus desiredStatus, TimeSpan timeout) This happens due to a new necessary registry key needed to start some service for security reasons: "DWORD: AcknowledgedRunningOnAppServer == 1" Some document-conversion services in SharePoint Server are not secure when they run in a particular environment http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2910363/en-us

Wednesday, 26 Mar 2014 12:38 by Colin Millar
Hello - just a quick note to say "thank you" for keeping track of all of this. It's been a great help to me, and we've just applied the hotfix and have a working search again (some months on). Many thanks - much appreciated. Colin

Wednesday, 26 Mar 2014 03:17 by Steven Van de Craen
Hey Stoperror0x7E, the timeoutexception is probably unrelated to this fix. I've had it before in other occasions, but not regarding to this fix. But thanks for sharing!

Wednesday, 26 Mar 2014 03:18 by Steven Van de Craen
Hey Colin, glad I was able to help. Cheers!

Friday, 28 Mar 2014 04:46 by Michael Lord
anyone else receive the error when running the patch..."An error occurred while running the detection"

Monday, 31 Mar 2014 11:05 by Alex Tihme
thank you very much for this extensive documentation of this behavior. Unfortunately the hotfix above didn't help in my case. We're waiting for a fix in April 2014.

Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 11:47 by Gary
Thanks for tracking this and keeping us up to date. Going to try the hotifx now.

Monday, 28 Apr 2014 05:10 by Paul
Thanks for tracking this and when I installed the update the search box appeared. :-) Only problem now is that I cannot search as the search service is absent and I cannot create a new one!?! The configuration wizard does seem to work. Any ideas?

Tuesday, 29 Apr 2014 12:21 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi Paul, do you mean the Service or the Service Application? Which wizard do you mean; the Products & Config Wizard or the one for automagically creating Service Applications? Cheers, Steven

Tuesday, 12 Aug 2014 03:36 by Justin Kibler
Microsoft just released an update for SharePoint this week - right? Search is broken again for me.

Tuesday, 12 Aug 2014 04:25 by Steven Van de Craen
Hey Justin, do you mean a Cumulative Update or a Windows Update hotfix? I've heard no news from clients yet, but if it's a WU hotfix they may not have installed it yet (controlled patching).

Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 09:46 by Pontus
Seems this issue is still there. We just installed (Jan. 2015) a SharePoint Foundation 2013 site and search is missing. I will update if the same fix does the trick

Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 01:30 by Steven Van de Craen
Hi Pontus, it really depends on which patch level/build number you're on. Could you let me know?

Thursday, 22 Jan 2015 03:22 by Pontus
It turned out that our infra vendor had installed a RTM version of SharePoint Foundation. They will now install SP1, Language SP1 and cumulative update. Hopefully this fixes search as well. Will post if ok.