October 31, 2014 - 16:35, by Steven Van de Craen -
This post is a revision of an old blog post on rendering Excel Services in an iframe on a different domain. This is prohibited because a HTTP response header X-FRAME-OPTIONS: SAMEORIGIN is added to the response. The issue isn’t limited to Excel Services but is applicable to any SharePoint-hosted page that you want to visualize in an iframe.
Consider the following:
SharePoint 2013 will always render the X-FRAME-OPTIONS header, even for regular pages. Adding an AllowFraming
control to the page fixes that, but doesn’t cover all situations
You can’t add the AllowFraming control to Office Web Apps or InfoPath Forms Server (“FormServer.aspx”)
Clicking on (pdf) documents in a Document Library in the iframe will fail to load them because the document is a different request
You have a basic “integration” between different systems (like Dynamics CRM) and SharePoint content that uses iframes
This is a HttpModule that can be activated per Web Application by Web Application Feature and will ensure that all pages will render inside an iframe. The module will set values that will prevent SharePoint from trying to inject the header in the first place, but for some exceptions (Office Web Apps 2010, XLViewer 2013) it is still required to actually remove the header at the end of the request.
Please visit the Codeplex Repository to read more about this addon and for installation instructions: https://ventigrate.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Permissive%20XFrame%20Header
January 4, 2011 - 10:51, by Steven Van de Craen -
Yesterday was my first working day of the new year and it didn’t start very well.
I decided to upgrade one of our internal servers from SharePoint Foundation 2010 to SharePoint Server 2010, in order to have InfoPath Forms Server and the like… This should be a breeze if you follow this article on MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262342.aspx, however…
Office Web Applications were causing the SharePoint Server 2010 installer to fail saying
“The install install in progress conflicts with a previous installed Microsoft Office 2010 Server Product”
Uninstalling from the Office Web Applications didn’t work, and others have reported this as well: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/9f43f8ec-e461-4954-9f00-a16c413914fc
So I tried the removal tool and finally got rid of all Office Web Applications-related stuff.
After the upgrade I tried to reinstall Office Web Application, but that kept failing saying something about access denied to a registry key called “UNKNOWN\Components\E0710AF3C7227C73AB0C4696A199C218\00004109441100000”
I tried the regular stuff like setting myself as owner, inheriting to all child objects, but that didn’t work. Using the RegASSASSIN tool from Malwarebytes first, and then setting myself as owner got the job done.
Finally I managed to install the Office Web Applications and all was well again :)
August 16, 2010 - 09:24, by Steven Van de Craen -
The Office Web Apps allow users without Microsoft Office installed to display or work on Word, Excel or PowerPoint files from the browser. It is a separate installation to your SharePoint Farm and controllable by two Site Collection Features:
When active it will render Office 2007/2010 file formats in the browser, without any requirement to a locally installed Office suite.
As you notice in the screen there’s no obvious way to create a new document, spreadsheet or presentation. So how would that work ?
The ‘New’ button on libraries has both functionalities; when a local installation of Office is found it will open up the corresponding application, else it will navigate to a page for creating a new file directly from the browser.
Word Web Application:
If you’re using a modified document template, the new document will be based on the modified template.
Excel Web Application:
If you’re using a modified spreadsheet template, the new document will NOT be based on that.
PowerPoint Web Application:
If you’re using a modified presentation template, the new presentation will be based on the modified template.
It’s a shame Excel behaves differently, but other than that it’s a really nice feature !